SRI GURUBHYO NAMAH SRI PARAMA GURUBHYO NAMAH SRI PARAMESHTHI GURUBHYO NAMAH
One of the blog readers who is doing parayana of Sri Durga Saptasati having got initiated into Navarna Mantra, got certain doubts about its Angas and the series/ order in which they should be chanted.
My humble experience tells that such a confusion is very much common to most of the sadhakas in the beginning till such time they settle into doing proper parayana.
Whatever the information I am providing here is only for those who are already initiated into Navarna Mantra and only those who are eligible for doing parayana. Those who are not initiated may have this information but SHALL not venture on doing parayana. Without a GURU, one should not try to experiment with Mantra, Mani (gems) and Oushadha (Medicine).
1. There are many prints of Sri Durga Saptashati from different publications but the one from GEETA PRESS, GORAKHPUR seems to be very close to original text. This book is available in almost all languages, but if one can use Sanskrit version there is hardly any possibility of wrong pronunciation. Otherwise one should learn the correct pronunciation.
2. Achamya, Pranayama, wearing Pavitra, Prayashchitta Sankalpa to get the eligibility to chant Saptashati for that day. ( If the text of Prayashchitta Sankalpa is not available, one may keep in the hand Tamboola and Dakshnina and mentally pray Ishta Daiva to excuse for whatever sins that have been done knowingly or unknowingly which makes one not eligible to do parayana of Durga Saptasahati and request to grant eligibility. Give away thamboola and dakshina to a deserving Brahmin) Then regular sankalpa with Desha Kala sankeertana. ( Sankalpa may add the purpose for which the parayana is done, otherwise it could be ‘ Dharmartha kama mOksha chaturvidha purisHartha siddhidvaara”
3. Ganapati smarane. Guru, Parama Guru and Parameshthi Guru smarane. Asana Pooja, Bahya Bhoota Shuddhi, Sthala Shuddhi, Dvaradevata pooja, VighnOtsarana, Bhooshuddhi, Bhooota Shuddhi, PraNapratiShTa, Garbhadanadi Panchadasha Samskara, Matruka Nyasa, Deepa sthapana, Shapoddhara Mantra ( Seven times) Utkeelana Mantra ( 21 times)
ALL THE ABOVE DETAILS ARE AVAILABLE IN GEETA PRESS PUBLICATION BOOK.
Now the following is the order in which the parayana has to be done: –
Navakshari also called Navarna Mantra japam WITH NAVARANA VIDHI SAHITA as initiated by one’s GURU
Devi Mahatmyam / Durga Saptashati, beginning with Saptashati Nyasa.
Navakshari also called Navarna Mantra japam, WITH NAVARANA VIDHI SAHITA as initiated by one’s GURU
Only Shadanga Nyasa of Durga Saptashati and Dhyana sloka ( Vidyuddhama samaprabham)
ADDITIONAL BUT IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: –
1. Ratri sukta and Devi Sukta have both Vedic version and Tantrik version. If one is well versed in chanting Veda Mantras they may chant both versions. If one is doubtful about vedic hymns pronunciation / Svaras, they may chant only TANTRIK VERSIONS. It is perfectly alright.
2. One must to do japa of Navarna Mantra at the end of each chapter not less than 108. 1008 is very good. But without Navarna Mantra as per the Vidhi explained above and also after each Chapter, the parayana will not be useful at all.
3. After Devi Suktam and before Kshamapana Prarthana one may chant ‘RAHASYA TRAYAS” (Pradhanika Rahasyam, Vaikrutikam Rahasyam and Moortrhy Rahasyam)- It is OPTIONAL and not a MUST.
4. Videha Mukta Sri Gunjur Ramachachadrashatrigalu (Pushya) Chandi Upasaka of the highest order of our time has recommended chanting of different stotras of Devi at the end of each chapter after the Navarna Mantra Japa. The result of such chanting is really amazing, which is my personal experience. I am providing the details of these Stotras as under: –
a) After FIRST CHAPTER- Rudra Chandi Stotra beginning GHORA CHANDI MAHACHANDI.
b) After SECOND CHAPTER- Kanmakadhara Stotra beginning , ANGAM HARE
c) After THIRD CHAPTER- Mahalakshmi Ashtaka-beginning NAMASTESTU MAHAMAYE.
d) After FOURTH CHAPTER- Durga Stotra beginning, TVAMEVA SARVAJANANI
e) After FIFTH CHAPTER , Neelasarasvati Stotra beginning GHORAROOPE MAHARAVE
f) After SIXTH CHAPTER, Padmavati Stotra beginning SREEMAD GEERVANA CHAKRA SPHUTA MAKUTA
g) After SEVENTH CHAPTER Chandika Stotra beginning YA DEVI KHADGA HASTA SAKALA JANA PADAVYAPINI
h) After EIGHTH CHAPTER, Ashtamatruka Shanti Stotra beginning MATARDEVI NAMASTESTU BRAHMAROOPADHARENAGHE
i) After NINTH CHAPTER, Karpoora Stotra -THIS is AS SAME AS GHORAROOPE MAHARAVE
j) After TENTH CHAPTER, Bhagavtyashtaka beginning NAMOSTUTE SARASVATI TRISHOOLA CHAKRA DHARINI
k) After ELEVENTH CHAPTER , Siddha kunjika Stotra beginning Namaste Rudra roopinyai namaste madhu mardhini
l) After TWELVTH CHAPTER , Durga Apaduddhara Stotra beginning NAMASTE SHARANYE SHIVESANUKAMPE
m) After THIRTEENTH CHAPTER, Shivaa Stuti beginning SHIVAAPOOPADHARE DEVI GUHYAKALI NAMOSTUTE
5. IMPORTANT NOTE; It is good if one chants all the above stotras after each chapter, otherwise IT IS A MUST TO CHANT SIDDHA KUNJIKA STOTRA AT THE END OF ELEVENTH CHAPTER. “ Yastu kunjikaya devi heenam saptashati patheth na tasya jayate siddhiraranye rodanam yatha”, meaning that saptashati patha without siddhakunjika is nothing but ARANYA RODANA” Hope message is very clear.
6. It is very good to complete parayana in one sitting. Otherwise following is the method to split the chapters over the number of days.
FOR THREE DAYS PARAYANA-
First day: Chapter 1
Second day: Chapters, 2,3, 4
Third day: Chapters 5 to 13
During Navaratris, this parayana may repeated three times in 9 days.
FOR SEVEN DAYS PARAYANA.
First Day – Chapter 1
Second Day – Chapters 2 & 3
Third Day – Chapter 4
Fourth Day – Chapters 5, 6, 7 & 8
Fifth Day – Chapters 9 & 10
Sixth Day – Chapter 11
Seventh Day – Chapters 12 & 13
NOTE: Whether it is 3 day parayana or 7 days parayana, every day one should do Poorvanga and Uttaranga. Poorvangas are as explained above:-
Navakshari also called Navarna mantra.
Navakshari also called Navarna Mantra japam,
Only Shadanga Nyasa of Durga Saptashati and Dhyana sloka ( Vidyuddhama samaprabham)
We always find reasons for having no time for such rituals which can transform our lives. The result is finding short cuts for such rituals. Such short cuts though satisfy us for having performed the ritual but we will be deceiving ourselves.
Chanting Saptasloki instead of Saptashati Parayana is an example for short cut. Chanting only Madhyama Charitra that is Chapters 2,3 and 4 is another short cut.
While splitting parayans for 3 days/ 7 days not performing every day poorvanga and Uttaranga is one another short cut.
7. Those initiated into any of the Sri Vidya Mantras they may add Navarna Mantra to their Sri Vidya mantra and do parayana adding these mantras before each sloka of Sri Durga Saptashati. IT IS A GREAT EXPERIENCE ONE SHOULD ONLY EXPERIENCE IT.
8. Add in the beginning of each Sloka ‘BhoorbhussuvaH and Navarna Mantra” for parayana. The best remedy to relieve all sins.
9. Add in the beginning and in the end of each sloka , the 5 th sloka in 4 th Chapter “ Ya Shreeh svayam Sukrutinaam ………………..” This will help the defence of the Nation and also those ruling the Nation.
10. Add in the beginning and in the end of each sloka 12 th sloks in 11 th Chapter “ Sharanagata Deenartha paritranaparaayaNe………………. This will help to come out of all kinds of troubles, distress and calamities.
11. Add in the beginning and in the end of each sloka 29 th sloks in 11 th Chapter “ RogaanaShesHa napahaMsi ………………. This will help to cure difficult diseases.
12. Add in the beginning and in the end of each sloka 10 th sloks in 11 th Chapter “ Sarvamangala MangalyE……………. This will help in case of marriage getting delayed and the efforts are not yielding expected result.
There are quite a few slokaas for sampiteekarana ( adding in the beginning and in the end of each sloka of saptashati)
13. Do the following: –
a) Use a comfortable seat- Face east – Decide not to get up till the parayana gets completed.
b) Parayana book shall be kept covered in silk cloth preferably in Pooja room
c) Keep book on Vyasapeetha. If not available place it on wooden plank.
d) Once the parayana is completed offer tamboola, dakshine to GURUS, ACHARYAS and Elders.
e) Wear White cloths during parayana.
f) Take the blessings of parents before and after parayana. Those not having parents at the time of parayana, they shall pray them mentally seeking their blessings.
g) Parayana shall be in Madhyama svara ( Not shouting or just lip movement,shall be audible to those near) Mantra Japa shall be only mentally.
h) Control temper.
i) Best place for paryana is Pooja room. If one such is not provided in the home. Centre of the house.
a) No drinking including water or eating till the completion of Parayana
b) No scratching hands, legs, body, head and touching Hair
c) No Rajasa and tamasa food. Only Satvik food
d) Don’t give scope for quarrel in the house or outside
15. Durga saptashati parayana is kamadhenu, kalpavruksha in the kaliyuga. There is no problem which cannot be resolved by the parayana of Sri Durga Saptashati. Similarly it can bestow on the sadhaka anything and very thing both materialistic and spiritual.
Loka Samasta Sukhino Bhavantu samasta sanmangalani Bhavantu
Om ShantiH Om ShantiH Om ShantiH